Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Day Late and a Dollar Short

It doesn't really surprise you, does it?  The title of the blog?  I can only shake my head.  Thankfully, I have this blog and I take good notes.

I got paid, finally, on Thursday.  It had a note on the check itself, initialed "RA" that said "Final check."  Well, I guess that answers that question! At least now, I can stop calling in sick (the hospital is keeping us very busy.)  Included with the paycheck was a photocopy of a handwritten note that, word for word, said:

Katie 12/1 Payral

$1000 ÷ 10 days =
$100 / day

Missed 4 days x$100=$400
1/18, 1/22, 1/25, 1/29

$400-$100 health=$500
$1000-400=$700
                   /600

(I did change the numbers and names but the math, scratch outs, and misspellings are all true.)  As my grampa would say with his Irish smirk:  "What a maroon!"  (Then, I think he would go kick Rod's ass.  Literally.)

Now, I'll help you out, Dear Readers, since nobody helped me out. I was at work 1/22.  How long will it take you to figure it out?  The proof is out there for the whole world to see in this blog.

I was in a hurry.  But I know I was not absent on the 22nd (funny, some things you just, well, know.) So I texted Jen before gathering proof : "Please leave a message for Rod that I called.  He docked me for pay on the 22nd, but I was there"  Now, I was busy - another emergency was calling me to the hospital, but I needed this message delivered and I needed to cash this check.  Unfortunately, Jen was not helpful.  "I don't think you were here sorry... You didn't send any emails out either.."  Well, this made me roll my eyes.  I didn't really ask her opinion, I asked her to deliver a message that I called.  It was frustrating for me as she knows how tough it's been for me lately. It also felt like a shift in our relationship had just taken place.  It now felt as though Jen was no longer on "my team."

Anyway, I cashed the check and rushed to the hospital.  I got a few minutes of down time while waiting for Durwood to show up, so I went to my blog.  Sure enough, I found the post from 1/25 titled "Busy as a Bee" that talked all about my day on Friday. If you recall, it was the day that Goldmine went down (which is why I sent no emails that day) and it is also the day that I started working on the PeachTree problem. That was one long day.  Happy that I was right, I walked into the hospital, texting Jen quickly before I lost signal: "Fri 22nd was day Goldmine went down.  I was totally there. Please shoot Rod the message for me!"  The text I got back "I left. Let him know tomorrow."  I took this to mean, in my haste, that she would let him know the following day.  Persevering, the next morning, I asked Jen if she had delivered my message for me.  She told me she wasn't willing to.  "Please handle with him.. it is no fun to be in the middle.. I know you understand. ;)"

Fucking great.  No, frankly, Jen, I don't understand.  All she had to do was to leave a written message that I called for him and needed pay for the 22nd.  It's up to him to work it out with me.  I do know Rod, and I know he most likely wouldn't have said a word to Jen.  But now, I was left in the situation of having to call Friday evening (I certainly wasn't going to call with the intent of speaking with Rod) and not only did I have to wait for Rod to leave, but because Jen wouldn't deliver a simple message, I now had to wait until after Jen left, as well.  This meant Rod wouldn't be getting any message until Monday.  Whatever.  I texted Jen back to let me know when she left.

She didn't.

So, I finally just called around 7 on Friday night telling Rod what the situation was.  Of course, today being Tuesday, I still haven't heard a word back, so if I don't get a check in tomorrow's mail, I will wait till after 7 and once again leave a voicemail.

Anyway, on a lighter side, the good news is, that for the first time since starting work at Acme, I have been able to make my car payment and house payment on time.  Thanks be to the reliability of unemployment and direct deposit!  Who'd'a thunk it?!

In the meantime... does anyone need any work done on their computers in the home or office?  The combination of fighting Rod for the money he owes me and the hospital situation has now left me with a huge cold sore... so I could use some work!




Eye Tee Girl

2 comments:

  1. Redonkulous the way that worked out but I'm going to view this as an opportunity for a door to open...and not like that time the door opened on the airplane (totally not my fault) but rather a good kind of door opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sorry to hear Jen turned out to be so weak. Writing down a message is hardly being in the middle. Refusing to do so, however, places her firmly on one side of the divide--the other side. Sad...I liked her. :(

    ReplyDelete