Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What's the up side, again?

Oh, right!  I get paid.  Until today, that was the only thing keeping me here.  I asked Friday and I asked yesterday - to verify that we were getting paid today.  Both times I received affirmative answers.  So I asked again today. "We get paid today, right?"  For those of you who follow me on FB, you probably already know the answer.  Hell, the rest of you can figure it out anyway.  "No, umm, AHREAGUM!  That will be tomorrow."  Me:  "Um, I thought payday was the 15th?"  Him:  "I have two days to pay you by law."  Me:  "Ok, so there is no standard payday?"  Him:  "Well, if I'm on  vacation or something and can't come in to do payroll, I have 2 days to pay you."  Hmmm.  He appeared to be at work.  He didn't appear to be in a hospital or hotel room.  Me:  "So do you just waffle on when payday will be?  I mean, you're here and all now so...."  Well, he took exception to the waffling line, and I suppose I don't blame him.  Him:  "I don't think it is appropriate for you to say 'waffle.'"  Me:  "Well, everywhere I have ever worked, we always knew when payday was."  Him: "Well, you work here now!"

Alrighty then.

So I thought.  And I thought.  And I posted on Facebook.  And I vented via text "Great, don't get paid today.  Fucking awesome working here."  And then brilliance struck!  Me:  "I'm sorry I said, that, Rod.  It's just that I asked you Friday, I asked you yesterday, and you said we were being paid today.  So I made plans accordingly.  I guess I'll just skip lunch.  No big whoop.  Not really. Sorry again."

Silence.  Enough to hear a pin drop.  So much for brilliance.

And then he came over and said "I will run payroll for you guys today but don't form any EXPECTATIONS!"  Who, me?  Expect to get paid?  Expect to get paid on time?  Whyever would I do that, Rod?  More and more, unemployment is looking finer by comparison than remaining employed here.  Hmm, I can expect to be paid on time every week.  On top of that, the state is advanced enough to pay me via direct deposit.  Not Rod.  Plus, I wouldn't have to put up with him anymore.

Calgon, take me away!  (It's a nice fantasy, anyway)

Let's see what else has happened recently?

In reviewing his schedule for the day, I saw he had two dates for tonight on the calendar.  Two separate dinners.  Two different women.  Pig.  Ick factor +4  What's worse, is that he schedules this stuff on the public work calendar where anyone can see it.  Ick factor +2  I just wonder why he books them publicly?  Because he can't figure out how to mark something private? (likely) or because he's proud of his achievements?  (just as likely)  Ick factor +10.

Speaking of ick factor... Do you want to see Rod's rash?  We didn't either, but it was considerate of him to offer.  Ick factor +8

He was here for close to 30 minutes today without making a sound, without even turning on his computer.  What was he doing?  Our guess is sleeping.

I was talking to a client, and it turned out he was a gamer.  We had a good 5 minute conversation or so about the merits of some games over others.  At the end of the conference call, Jen laughed and said "I had NO idea what you guys were talking about! Hahaha!"  I laughed too and said "Yeah, gaming is fun."  Then Rod decided to put in his two cents (Lord help us.)  "Well, Jen, that's because YOU are not a NERD!"

Really?  Name-calling?  Really?

So I couldn't be quiet.  Of course.  "Well, I can think of a lot of things I'd call you, Rod, but I don't."  He replied:  "Wouldn't you agree that you are more proficient at computers than Jen is?"  oy vey.  "Well, yes, Rod, but the fact that I game has nothing to do with that.  And it isn't nice to call people names."  Whatever.

So I've made it another paycheck, Dear Readers, and I'm not sure how many more I have in store for me.  But this one was my big goal - for Christmas spending.  At least my pain will gain my family and me a few minutes of pleasure a week or so from now.
 

It's not a lot, but it's enough.




Eye Tee Girl


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. If he's paying you with live company checks and not a payroll service, and given what you've said of his credit situation, you should probably expect that someday soon you will get a notice from your bank, several days after you deposit your paycheck, that it bounced. You won't have the money, AND your bank will probably hit you with a $35 fee for the dead check. DANGER. DANGER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha! Yes, large amounts of danger! I have been quite actively seeking work elsewhere for about a month now. Plus... We cash our checks at the issuing bank before depositing. :) Apparently, Jen may have had experience with this in the past...

    ReplyDelete