Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to the Grind

I knew the good times were going to end soon.  I guess I just didn't realize how quickly the cold water would douse me upon entering the office today.  I think it took about 20 minutes.

Especially considering that it seemed Rod was in a good mood.  I received this text on my way in to work today: "Ha.. It has already been interesting.  Rod has a new girlfriend and he gave me a hug!" Eww.  Poor Jen.

Rod was on the phone when I got in.  Well, on hold, to be specific.  With his accounting software company.  Lovely.  I figured that would leave me off the hook for a while! Alas, no.  He first asked me to show him how to close out a fiscal year.  When he didn't want to follow my instructions for completing the wizard that would walk him through this process, I recommended he stay on hold with PeachTree.  Thankfully, this was when they picked up.  He greeted the tech person by saying "I can't get this damn thing to close!"  and then "SHIT!" He then back tracked and explained the problem.  Of course, they walked him through the steps the same way I tried to, and each time he stated unequivocally, "WELL!  I think you're WRONG."  Each time doing it his way, it timed out, and he wanted to end task.  Each time, we both told him to let it run.  Finally the third time, we made him do it our way, and it worked fine.

Now, during this phone call, I think it is important to note, I was multi-tasking, looking for work on Monster.  I found a great job opportunity, and, while keeping one ear on the conversation, I quickly began filling out the form and typing up a cover letter.  Well, Rod didn't like me "keyboarding," not one bit!  "Katie!! Will you STOP THAT and watch EVERYthing on my screen?"  So I stated the truth: "Why, Rod?  You aren't taking my advice anyway, why do I need to watch everything?"  "Well, *I* have to!" he replied.  He sounded like a petulant little boy:  "If I have to, YOU have to!"  Whatever.

So I typed quietly.  And got all my job searching profiles updated.

My last day before today was December 23rd.  As I left, Rod was still frantically searching for his cell phone.  As I was leaving, I heard Rod say "Be sure to take your keys, I may be gone when you get back!" (I'm not sure where he thought I was going at 3 on the day before a holiday weekend, but I sure as hell wasn't coming back HERE.)  But I played along.  "Ok!"  I also had my hat, gloves, backpack, and all my leftover fruit from the frig.  Anyway, the point being, it sounded as though he was going to lock up upon his own departure.  Imagine my surprise when I found this email as I was sifting through them first thing this morning:




From: Rod Acme
To: Katie Murphy
Cc: Jennifer Smith
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 08:44:38 -0800
Subject: Door Open
 

I came to the office 0900 hours on December 24th with front door unlocked and all the lights on. No one was present. Katie were you the last one to leave?  What time?  Its imperative the door is locked when no one is in the office!
Who was supposed to work on 12/24?


Now, there are a couple things of note.  First, he insists on listing all times as military time.  As in "Oh Nine Hundred."  It's just irritating.  Nobody here has ever served in the military, least of all Rod, and I don't think any of us would think that he meant 9pm.  Next, Jen and I have both emailed Rod twice about what days we were planning on taking off.  Not only that, but Jen had been talking constantly about how excited she was to have both Weds and Thu off, and I confirmed before leaving that I had Thursday off.  So, there is no doubt he had been told completely and thoroughly that we were not going to be there on the 24th.

Now, the funny part comes in to play when I let you know that Rod was, indeed, the last person to leave for the day on the 23rd.  Remember, as I left?  He told me to take my keys?  HE was the last one out the door!  For God's sake, man!  Get it together! (Never mind that Jen wasn't even here to lock it because she HAD THE DAY OFF.)  Good grief.  I mean, seriously, how does he even manage to cross a busy intersection?!

And just now before he left, he asked me directly if I was the one to leave the door open and lights on.  I said no, that it was actually him.  He denied it at first. Then I reminded him he had been coming and going in search of his cell phone.  I could see the enlightenment spread across his face.  He knew right then it had been him for sure.  But then, he just couldn't help himself:  "Well, THIS is one of those AREAS where we should COMMUNICATE BETTER!!  AHHRERMM!  You should have made it CLEAR you were LEAVING!"  (I guess, "I'm leaving now," isn't clear enough?)  Leave it to Rod.  Only he would try to turn that into my fault.  Whatever.

So, back to Rod's girlfriend.  Apparently, she is in California, and Rod paid for her flight and she will be staying with him.  Ick factor +3.  This comes as great news.  Not 2 hours after talking all about this, he then went on to tell us that we now will be responsible for $200/month more for our health insurance (sans dental insurance.)  Wow, this guy is a winner.  Jen also got details on yet another date Rod had this weekend.  Now, ladies, let me inform you right now.  Rod is not handsome.  Rod is not hot.  Rod is not even a little oddly attractive in a weird way.   For him to be "playing" the field like this is offensive, and makes me seriously wonder who it is that would actually date him...  Ick factor +6

So I was minding my own business (ok, not really, but Rod doesn't know that) when Rod made a personal call.  "I need to make an appointment with Dr. Benson, please."  *silence*  "Yes, but don't say that too loud!"  *silence*  "It's for a GROWTH on my SHOULDER!"  Oh, damn, man, can't you take some of these calls outside?  Ick factor +8.

Curse Count for the day:  Shit, 6 ::  Damn, 2  ::  GODDAMMIT!, 1

So, as you can see, no time was wasted today.  I got thrown right back in that saddle, whether I wanted to be there or not.  The time off at least gave me a chance to remember what normalcy felt like, and I even got to share a little love with my family.  It was good.

I will see you tomorrow, Blogging fans!


Eye Tee Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment