Thursday, January 7, 2010

Movin on up!

Wow, 15 followers!  That's a lot!  It seemed like I was going to be deadlocked at 9 forever, but in the last 2 weeks or so, I've gotten another 6 public followers! That's great!  I'll get my book/dramedy/movie deal ANY DAY NOW!

Today is a good day.  Why?  I get to leave early.  Even if it's just for a doctor's appointment, I get to leave early!  I know you will join me in the celebration.
 

I would like to follow up on a some things.  I got a couple off-line inquiries about returning after I was screamed at to leave, so I thought I would explain what happened.

First off, both Rod and I were very upset.  I had already said I was leaving for a while when Jen decided to have me work on her computer.  In hindsight, I should have left, yes, but I have a hard time saying no.  My real mistake was in thinking Rod would leave us alone.  There were also a few things I edited out of the story.  I had told Jen several times I just wanted to go, so I am sure he heard that.  I had said I was leaving for lunch, and I didn't.  So, when he screamed at me to LEAVE, it was more in an attempt to get me to follow through on what I'd been saying I wanted to do all along.  I also returned to the office (some asked, why didn't you just stay gone? Forever!) because I am not going to let that bastard off that easy!  Again, with hindsight and a saner mind, it would've put him through a lot more turmoil (and may have even gotten me a raise!) if I'd played hard to get.  Damn, that hindsight is a bitch!  But if he wants me fired, he has to say the words, and not leave any sort of question mark that I am not welcome back.

Next, for those of you worried about my safety, Rod wasn't really charging me, per sé.  I wasn't really frightened that he would do physical harm to me.  He was just flailing around, there was no real threat, implied or overt. Trust me, if I had felt even the slightest threat to me physically, the police would have been answering the phone before the door had a chance to hit me on the butt!

Lastly, I have also heard that some of you are experiencing similar Rod stories.  Share them!  I know a lot of my followers, but most of you don't know each other, so feel free to share them!  I have allowed anonymous posting, anyway, so not even I know who may post something if you mark it anonymous.  Please, this is a forum for all of us to share, become stronger, and eventually grow as a result of all the ugliness we as workers have to put up with!

And thank you very much to those of you who show concern and care about my well being, both emotionally and physically.  It means the world to me when you reach out to me.

Now, back to the Rod show!  As I said, today is a short one, so I don't have a lot to report on.  He did randomly, and quite loudly say, "You piece of CRAP," and then said not another word.  Shrug.  The Cuss Count for the day (and it's only been a half a day...) Shit!, 5 :: Piece of Crap, 1 :: Goddammit!, 2
 

I think Rod must have some sort of new injury.  Or maybe it's related to the growth on his shoulder.  ANYway... he was talking to his doctor or someone and said "Well, who should I CALL THEN?"  He was obviously distraught that who ever he had on the phone couldn't help him.  After he hung up, he said to the room at large, "Hey so ummmmm...." silence.  "Does ANYone KNOW who to see if you need help with your MUSCLES?"  He was greeted with more silence.  Jen said, "In what way?"  His answer was "You know, one that works with BONES.  And MUSCLES.  And stuff.  The type that professional athletes go to.  They go to this type of doctor ALL THE TIME!"  I waited, then offered up "Um, Physical Therapists?"  "NO! I mean REAL doctors!"  "Well, then I think you are looking for Sports Medicine, athletes see PT's and Sports Medicine doctors."  He wasn't happy with that answer either. I'm not really sure what he wants... And I don't really care...
 

"Rod is so pleasant on the phone" - I just got that sarcastic email from Jen.  And boy, is she right.  For example, just now he had to travel through a phone tree to get to someone for health insurance.  He had to say things like his birthday, zip code, SSN, etc.  Things we all go through, and of course, once the operator answered, they asked him all those questions again.  I'm sure all of us have been through that rigamarole, we all laugh, maybe snort, roll our eyes, but then we get on with the purpose of our call.  Right?  Not so for Rod.  He must have spent at least 5 minutes with the person complaining about the system.  In incredibly disparaging tones, he told the poor operator that it was "inappropriate" and that he didn't appreciate it.  He went on to say that this operator needed to tell his/her higher ups in their next meeting that they needed to have a poll that asks people if they like the phone tree.  He sneered that he didn't think people would say anything favorable.  The poor rep, taking all that abuse.  Sadly, secretly, I'm hoping Rod is unloading some of his angst before he wants to talk to me in our upcoming meeting.  But I'm already practicing.  "Yes, Rod," and "Okay, Rod" over and over to the same questions.
 

Well, I survived the meeting.  It was full of many, many ok's and yes's and it helped get us through the event.  But I am so worn out from trying to track him and agree with him in such a way so as to not interrupt, not intimidate, and not egg him on that I can hardly hold my head up!  I also had to avoid idiosyncratic behaviors!  Lord forbid I should flinch at a cuss word or an angry demand.  Stop the world if I expect a please, or a thank you!  I am getting new wrinkles, right between my eyes, and it is entirely his fault.  At least, when I am old and grey, I will have great stories to tell my kids and their kids about the Worst Boss in the World.

My stories are better than the uphill in the snow barefoot stories any day!


Eye Tee Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment