Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday!

So here we are, the end of my first week. As promised, I have more stories!

Rod isn't the most IT savy of people. I think that's likely a huge understatement. When I say this, think of your grandfather trying to use a computer. Or the pointy haired boss a la Dilbert. That's the owner, my boss, Rod. Now, 2 things would help him (and us) greatly... if he could:

1. Realize that those around him know more about computers than he does

2. Remember the things he has been taught or has "taught" us


Here are some short one liners or conversation topics I have been directly involved in:

"Hey, so uhh... do you know how to answer a phone?" When I replied affirmatively, he grunted disbelievingly and called me on the phone anyway to prove it. (I answered successfully, to which he grunted approvingly. I think.)

"After you change your password, be sure to enter it into the password spreadsheet. We all need to be able to log on to eachother's computers." (Do I even need to enter commentary here? No, the password spreadsheet is not encrypted; no, it is not password protected; and when I first walked in the door, I could see the document icon on first computer [unlocked] you see upon entering the building clearly labeled PW.XLS.)

Rod likes to make sure that email or any notes from a call are clearly labeled and documented. This is understandable, I get it. He repeated himself FIVE TIMES to tell me that it is "IMPORTANT THAT YOU CREATE CLEAR SUBJECT LINES IN EMAIL" Five times! In a row. Back-to-back. I counted. How many times can you try to reassure someone that you understand and have received the message they are transmitting? "ok" "Gotcha" "That makes sense" "understandable" And that's only four! This was in my first hour on my first day. For some reason I still haven't figured out, I'm still here.

Yesterday, Rod took me aside to point out the various merits of creating email folders. This wasn't the first time. It took him 30 minutes to explain that you can create folders in different areas, like inbox, or sent items. He had to give examples, show how he did it, and again explain how it will help me in the future. He forgot twice what he was trying to teach me. Thirty minutes!! I have been doing tech support for 10 years. I can set up folders in my sleep. This conversation was agonizing for me.

While trying to learn one of his products, I asked Rod yesterday "So, I'm trying to find the application here. Is it called 'Acme Organizer?' Or just 'Organizer?'" His reply was a very low mutter "Ohh, yeahhhh geee. Hmmm. I dunno." This is HIS company! He doesn't know the name of his own product or how it appears on the computer? Inconceivable!

After being here for 3 days, I figured maybe it would be nice to know if I got paid, and if so, when. So I asked. "Ummm, yeah... so I have TWO DAYS... " (Sometimes, Rod will start off muttering barely coherently, then will nearly shout out words, as in that last example) There was a long silent pause while I waited to find out what else he had to say. "So yeah, the FIFTEENTH or SIXTEENTH and you know umm the FIRST ummm...." I was excited! It was the fifteenth! He continued... "so um ... AHERRRMARGGG!!!!" (Rod also has a habit of clearing his throat so loudly, it makes you jump, then cringe at the old man phlegmy resonance to it.) He continued... "So ahhhmmummm .... let's see yeah I'll probably pay TOMORROW cause then it's the weekend and nobody wants to worry...." At this point, the words faded into obscure silence and I could no longer hear what he was muttering.

So, here it is, the end of my first week! I *think* I'm getting paid today, and hey, I've even learned to enjoy the odd, odd things that happen here. I have Jennifer to thank in large part for that.

Have a great weekend, everyone! I have stories backing up! Remember, if you think you're having a bad day, remember Jennifer, Dave, and I have it worse!

IT Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment