Monday, October 19, 2009

Things you'll notice...

The more time you spend around Rod, the more you realize he's just not all there. At first meeting, you think perhaps he is a little anti-social, but he must balance out the oddness by being a genius. You know, the stereotypical odd guy who is a whiz at math or some such?

Not so for Rod.

In fact, I'm not really sure how he manages from day to day, much less how he manages to sell product! Read on and you will see what I mean.

I think Rod must use an electric razor daily. I say this because at first glance, he always appears shaven. But then you can't help but notice-- there are tufts of un-cut stuff hanging around, much like a lawn that your ten year old has mowed. Say, the left half of the moustache will be gone, but the right half will show a day's growth. Or maybe a patch the size of a dime, completely untouched, in the middle of a cheek! Now, I only guess he uses an electric razor (maybe in his car?) because otherwise, when guys use shaving cream and a mirror (which generally show them quite clearly the areas they have shaved or have not shaved) they have a uniformly shaved face.

I understand the bathroom is not where people like to hang out. I understand too that unsavory things happen in there. But when it's time for Rod to make a stinky in there (this is a one toilet operation, here), he does not use air deodorizer, he does not turn on the fan, and then he closes the door snugly behind him (I suppose to trap the smell inside?) Before I understood his MO, I naively walked into the bathroom not long after he had been in there and got a full mouthful of bear bait. Oh, the horror! Gagging, I quickly exited, leaving the door open behind me. (I was also praying Jennifer wouldn't see me coming out as she went in and then think I was the one to drop the bear bait!!)

I did end up getting paid on Friday! How exciting is that? Oddly enough, I didn't have to fill out a single piece of paper work, didn't sign a single document, nor did I even show my driver's license. Hmmm. Rod also was not aware I started Tuesday; instead, he thought I started Monday. Who was I to correct him?

Rod has online demos of his product posted on his website. This is a great idea. However, on the demos I've watched so far, there are major issues. In fact, in one of them, the product crashes and shows a SQL error page! That's truth in advertising for you, I guess!

Rod always directs people to go view the "Admin Counsel" - do you suppose he means "Admin Console"?

Another thing that makes me laugh: Rod and I sit in cubicles opposite each other. Sometimes, I move to the cubicle to his right. Even after speaking to him at length, Rod will not know where I am sitting. Is it that difficult to pay attention to where a voice is coming from? This fact was particularly entertaining the day he was trying to prove I didn't know how to answer the phone. He called the wrong cubicle and I had to tell him where I was. Thus proving, while I know how to answer a phone, Rod has no idea how to place a call on one.

Today, Rod called me over to work on my "to-do" list. We spent 2 minutes talking about one item (over and over) on my list. He then spent at least 60 seconds trying to remember what we were talking about, and then spent the next 27 minutes working on Dave's to-do list. I found out today that tomorrow will be Dave's last day. Rod listed several things (impossible to do in one day, much less your last day) that *I* needed to make sure Dave did. I clarified, "So you will be going over this stuff with Dave, right?" to which Rod replied with "Well, WE will go over this with him, I suppose..." No, Rod, you will. I am not going to tell him what he needs to do right after you fire him. I don't want anything to do with that stinky barrel of fish!

So, how do you think he does it? How does he muddle through life like this? Was he dropped on his head as a child? I just don't get it!

Stay tuned, everyone, and happy Monday!

Eye Tee Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment