Monday, November 2, 2009

I get paid for this?

Wow, all this, and I get paid, too!  Amazing!

So the party on Friday was actually quite eventful!  Our neighbors next door came over, and had even brought beers with them.  My kinda party goers!  Everyone had one, except Jennifer, who always does things the proper way.  I respect that, actually (but I still enjoyed the suds!)

While we were all sitting around, chewing the fat, we were discussing things like "Tell us the scariest thing that has ever happened to you," and catching up on recent history.  Somehow, Rod got an idea in his brain, and while one of our fellow partiers was in the middle of a sentence, Rod quite loudly blurts out "Hey, you want some DOPE?"  Everyone ignored him, but my eyes popped open.  Had Rod just said what I think he said?  I waited for the conversation to lull, dread making my heart thud and time drag by slowly.  Sure enough, the minute there was a pause, Rod chimes in "Hey, you guys wanna smoke a DOOBIE?"  Now, the way he said it made me picture him as a hippy with long hair, circa 1972, complete with fringed leather jacket and matching head band.  UnREAL!  I can't really begin to digest the level of inappropriateness, especially in a semi-professional atmosphere, but even now, I can hardly believe he said what he did. "Wanna smoke a DOOBIE?"  Whoa, man, like, far out.  Groooovy.

Recently, Rod was trying to "assist" Jennifer with a client.  He snagged a copy of the customer's history, and asked Jennifer the status.  She replied mildly that the contact is awaiting a list of requirements for their company from their IT Director.  When the customer knows what is needed, she will be in touch with information on which application best suits their company.  Sounds like Jennifer has everything under control.  To you and me, maybe.  Not to Rod.  Rod said, in an upset tone, "She is WAITing for REQUIREMENTS??!" Here he snorted, actually snorted.  "How STUPID is that? How stupid is this person? I mean, if she can't understand that she NEEDS this product, then... Have you... Email her the list of reasons for buying this product!!  I mean, we shouldn't even waste our TIME with someone this stupid if they don't even know... " At this point, his words dwindled and he had nothing more to add, I guess.  So, he completely switched gears.  To Jennifer: "You can't SELL this product by EMAIL, y'know" (Right after telling Jennifer to email the contact)  Jennifer politely replied to Rod, letting him know that the customer has specified email contact and replies to her calls via email.  Again, she is on top of it, right? Alas, no. She tries again:  "Rod, it's just a matter of time while they get the requirements together, then it will close!  She is replying to my emails, I know she is interested in the product!" Rod shouted at her: "NO!  She could just be trying to be umm... [silence] POLITE!"  I think he recognized his own absurdity there.  Maybe. Because he again changed gears, perhaps as a cover "You need to double, TRIPLE! the number of calls you make a day!"  How Jennifer kept from rolling her eyes at Rod, I'll never know.  I certainly was on her behalf.

I now have several different lists I am supposed to be keeping: Questions for the developers (each developer has a separate doc, of course), questions I have about processes here, questions I have if I run into problems using any of the products (a separate doc for each application, not to be confused with the list for the developers or the FAQ documents), a to-do list, and lastly, a task list (no, I don't know the difference.)  All of these lists must be printed by Rod at least once a day and placed on my desk.  Sometimes 3 - 5 times isn't sufficient.  He likes to print things. A LOT.

Rod wants to include Jennifer's picture, as well as mine, in emails that we send out.  As he put it, our faces will help sell the product.  I told him I was not comfortable with that unless he sent out his picture as well to potential clients.  He didn't seem as keen on that idea.  I wonder why.

Well, it's been a quiet day here today, but have faith, it'll pick up again tomorrow.

Eye Tee Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment