Monday, November 16, 2009

Left to bear the brunt...

Remember that I mentioned Jennifer wasn't feeling well?  Today, she came in sounding like a frog and she had a swollen eye.  (As a side note, Rod was again completely shocked that Jennifer had gotten sick.  Knucklehead.) She went to see the dr, then went home. Apparently, she got a terrible sinus infection over the weekend and is now reaping the rewards:  Rod-free time.  Lucky son-of-a-gun!  As a result, Rod gets to focus all of his malcontent and boredom squarely on me. 


For instance, I had to sit through a lecture about RAID 1, 3, and 5 - which is a fancy way of saying "computer stuff" from a man who knows nothing about RAID, much less setting them up, nor even computers.  This lesson included such gems as "So... um, AHRREMMM! Our DATAbases sit on EITHER the C: drive or the E: drive." (Note: There are only two drives on this machine.  C: and E:)  "And you will FIND... all of our APPLICATIONS are ON the C drive or the E drive."  Wow, the information is getting more helpful by the minute!  Another noteworthy piece, there are 8 bits in a byte!  I never knew that! Awesome!  One of our drives in one of our servers is 7200 RPM!  Really, Rod?  Any idea which one?  (He had no idea which one, of course - stating only "the new one" as though explaining it to a small child).  I also found out we likely are running a lot of our important stuff on machines about 10 years old.  Great.  Can't wait for the day that fails, and I have to fix it - because he's "not interested in doing that now."  It just keeps getting better and better!


Poor Rod is just so... out of touch.  On Friday, he was having trouble saying something, and so he stammered out "Katie, I LOVE YOU!  I just have trouble SAYING it sometimes."  Again, definitely one of those moments I could have used assistance in scraping my chin off the floor.  While I always appreciate declarations of affection, this one seemed a tad bit over the top.
 

As we know, I have contracted "garbage duty."  Jennifer even calls me GiGi now, for Garbage Girl.  Great, thanks.  Really, I mean that.  Two weeks ago, I gave Rod a list of things we need here in the office.  They still have not been ordered.  On that list is a request for trash bags (and a garbage can for Jen).  This will make my job much cleaner, and much much easier for my ego to bear.  However, on Friday, we still didn't have bags.  So, when I went to dump out all the trash in Rod's garbage (which was almost entirely paper), I proceeded to completely upend the can.  Of course, the half full cup of coffee he had hidden in there just had to tumble in such a way so as to spill sour milk and coffee all over my hand and shirt, while still landing in the bag at the end of its journey.  Just the topper I needed for my Friday!  Now on top of knowing of Rod's love, I also get to smell of sour milk and coffee.
 

Does anyone wonder why I need a strong drink at the end of a day?  I think I need to start drinking at the beginning and middle of the day, too. 
 

Rod and I had a meeting today about file archival.  It turned into a meeting about sending him an email template regarding something else entirely that I had already sent him.  I just nodded and said, yessir, I can send that information to you again.  Well, this put his tail feathers in a bunch.  He did not want something I had already sent him.  No.  He wanted something different.  "WE ARE NOT COMMUNICATING" he said.  Oh God.  That made me roll my eyes.  I knew what was coming next:  He made me repeat back to him what he was saying and what I would do.  (That is such a great communication technique! I am so glad he is patient and teaches me these things) So for the 6th time (I counted), I said: "I will send you the custom template for the email that will be going out."  I added in my head "And it will be a forward of the exact same email I emailed you two weeks ago with the exact same information you are requesting now.  (But I didn't use my outside voice for that part.) 
 

Well, Rod is due back from his swimming for the day, and I'm starving.  Eating when Rod returns gives me a reason to blatantly ignore him completely, so it's the best time to do it.  And hey, I even got paid today! It just doesn't get any better than a day at Acme.



Eye Tee Girl








No comments:

Post a Comment